FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Monday, November 21, 2011

I am Thankful

I am thankful for my grandparents today.  As I have been getting out some of my Christmas decorations today I came across my Grandmother Hill's autograph book.  It is so fun to read and look at.  It was given to her before she married my Grandfather.  I was not blessed to know Grandma Hill.  She died in December of 1940 and I was born in May of 1941.  My mom told me a lot about her.  She was a great lady who served her family and her Savior and Father in Heaven.  It is good to read her and grandpa's history that my mom wrote.  I do not remember Grandpa Hill either.  He died just a few years after grandma.  Mother always said that he died from a broken heart.  After Grandma died he just had no desire to live.



My mother's entry in the book ------ Harriet Anna Hill the daughter of Harriet Ann Byram Hill

My father's parents, Thomas Hugh and Louviena Dorcas Clayton lived just up the street from us but I never really spent too much time with them.  For some reason by Dad's children were not some of Grandma's favorites and since she ruled the roost poor Grandpa Clayton did not have much say.  He was one of the sweetest men I have ever known.  He would come to our house and that is where we would spend time with him.  He tried his very best to be a good grandpa.  He and Grandmother were the custodians for the little old LDS church in Ucon.  I remember helping them clean.  I loved the little glass sacrament cups that I would help wash.
Grandpa raised a huge garden and loved to peel the fresh vegetables for us to nibble on.  At Christmas time he would bring us children a HUGE all day sucker.  He never had much money and he had a tobacco habit that kept him from church but he always said he knew the gospel was true.  He was a fun and kind grandpa.  It is always fun to read his history and grandma's history.  I think they had a very interesting marriage.




No comments:

Post a Comment