FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I am Thankful

It has been a day of many nice memories as I have sewed a baby slip for Mary's little dress.  Many years ago as a young girl in the home of my parents, my mom encouraged me and supported me in learning to sew.  This would be a good sixty years ago.  I remember one very special Christmas when I was about ten when I received this wonderful little sewing machine.  It was really just a child's toy but it would really sew.  I would cut and sew cloths for my dolls the best that I could with suggestions from my mother. Soon she was encouraging me to sew cloths for myself.  The machine that we had in our home was a treadle sewing machine.  I sewed many of my own cloths and was also able to take sewing classes in Jr. High and High School from some excellent teachers.  After I became engaged to Dale I left college and went to work at Sears and Roebuck in Idaho Falls in the office as a secretary.  That is when I bought my first machine and one for mom.  They were Kenmore's and my mom's first electric machine.  They were not the best machine around but they did a nice job and mom truly enjoyed hers.  After I married Dale and he could see how much I liked to sew and that my machine just did not cut it he purchased me a new one from Mr. Laub at the sewing shop in Tremonton.  It is a Pfaff.  It is now fifty years old and I still enjoy it. 
Over the many years I have sewed cloths for my children, wedding dresses for my daughter Nichole, Dale's sister Jana Lee, and his cousin Carol Firth,  Prom dresses, quilts, baby cloths, curtains and even mended the leather cover for the PTO on the beet harvester and so many more things.  Today my eye sight is a bit limited and it is harder to see the stitching and threading the needle is a guessing game but when I do sit down and sew I do so enjoy it.
So tonight I am so Thankful that I can sew and had a mother with patience and the desire to help me learn.  I love her so much for helping me.

Mom's treadle machine ---- at Tonya's home

My sewing area today with my dependable old machine

Mary's dress that she crocheted

The little slip that I made today

No comments:

Post a Comment