FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Wilford Henton Clayton ---- 10 June 1906

Today is the one hundred and fifth birthday for my father.  My father passed away in February 1969 which seems just forever ago.  I was a very young wife and mother living in Bothwell, Utah, when mother told me that my father was very ill and would be having exploratory surgery at the LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City.  He never woke up from this surgery and lay in a coma for ten days before he died.  It was discovered that he had malignant brain tumors.  If I remember right there were three ---- the surgery was a very new procedure and the risk very high.

I can't say that I was the easiest daughter for my father to raise.  He and I seem to clash quite often ---- I guess I had just as much stubbornness as he did.  But I am so very grateful for his perseverance, his kindness, and his forgiveness.  I wish that we would have had many more years to enjoy together and that he would have known all of my children.  He was very protective of them and always concerned for their safety and welfare.  He was able to share time with Tonya, Glenda, Jeff and Teresa.   Mary was born in the January before he died.  You would have like him.






At the coal mine in Idaho where he worked with his father before his marriage to mother

At his parents home - year of marriage to mom



Dad's parents and siblings

Clayton Trucking progresses


Coming home from his mission ---- able to get a new car

Dad and his boat and Harlen ---- he loved to fish

My father was a very hard worker and if he did something it was done right and he expected no less of us his children.  He took care of what he had and made do sometimes with less than was needed. 
I especially recall a story that mother told me one day when she was visiting my home.  We were looking at a photo album and she saw this dress that I was wearing to one of my High School dances.   They had always made sure that I had what I needed and sometimes just what I wanted.  She told me that they had spent the last of their monies at that time to buy me that dress.  Oh, did I ever feel bad.  I think perhaps two lessons were learned that day from this story ---- one --- parents do make sacrifices for their children and ----two--it is wise to share financial positions with children to some degree so that they can understand that every WANT can not be supplied.  I am truly grateful for a good father.

Missionary Time

Beginning of Clayton Trucking

Last Picture ---- mom had this on her dresser in her bedroom from the time he died until she died in 1997




No comments:

Post a Comment