FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Fathers Day

Sunday was a very special day for us to honor our fathers and husbands.  Brad and I attended Priesthood and Relief Society in our Elwood Ward and then we drove to the Woodruffs Riverview Ward for Sacrament meeting.  Grandpa had seen on the Woodruff calendar that Nate would be talking and so we had planned on surprising him.  He has grown into such a handsome and fine young man.  He looked so grown up in his nice suit and tie.  Nate did a great job with his talk and I am sure that his Mom was a great support.  He seemed a bit nervous but his dad said that was because he really thinks the girl sitting by him to give the next talk is "HOT".  Lots of teasing from dad.  We took one whole row in the chapel ---- Dad and Mom, Grandpa and Grandma, MacKenzie and Tyler, Kelsey and Dusty, Meagan and Garen.  I am so proud of family when they support one another.  IT IS A GOOD THING.

Nate's talk
In the October 2009 General Conference, M. Russell Ballard talked about the relationship between fathers and sons.  He said that there is something special about seeing fathers and sons together.  It is a visual reminder of two of the most powerful elements we have; priesthood and family.  The priesthood is the divine power through which families are sealed together forever.  Everything in the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, including the ordinances of the temple, is focused on the possibilities of families becoming part of the eternal family of God.
There is no other relationship quite like that which can and should exist between a boy and his dad.  It can be one of the most nurturing, joyful relationships in life, one that can have a profound impact on who boys become and also on who dads become.
He also said that we are all on a journey.  Dads are a little further down the road, but none of us has yet arrived at our final destination.  We are all in the process of becoming who we will one day be.  Fathers and sons can play a critical role in helping each other become the best that they can be.
Father-son relationships are never perfect but I know that my dad is proud of my accomplishments and he worries about be every day.  We but heads most days and don't always get along but he is truly my hero in many ways and I would like to share some of the reasons why I love my dad.
He honors his father and mother.  He is always lending a helping hand to not only them but also to my mom's parents when they need it.
He honors his priesthood.
He is faithful and honorable.  He leads, provides for, and protects our family sometimes at great sacrifice to himself.
We share the same interests.  We love to hunt and be outdoors.  We love to ride our motorcycles and he has always made sure I have one to ride.  We love to watch and play baseball.  He is usually always willing to play catch even though I know he suffers later with the pain in his shoulder.
He is super supportive in the things I chose to do.  He has always been there for me no matter what I am doing and always seems to voice his opinion whether I want to hear it or not.
He loves family camping trips but gets frustrated when our sports get in the way.  He loves to be outdoors and really doesn't enjoy the big city.  Just ask him about New York.
He tolerates us when we get crazy and is fun to hang out with except when we got lost in a taxi in New York because the taxi driver couldn't understand us and we couldn't understand him.
He is a super hero because he can accomplish feats in record time and can figure out how to fix things and get things done faster than anyone I know.  Bad part of that though is that he expects me to do the same.
My dad can't run the microwave, DVD player, my ipod, his cell phone or any other electronic devices.  I love to give him a hard time about that.
He is a good teacher of what is right and what is wrong.  He always wants me to do better than he did (especially in school) and he doesn't want me to have to make some of the same mistakes he did.
He is a good husband and makes sure that we are always helping mom.  This is very important to him and has made me realize that I want to be a great husband and father some day.
Even though we have our differences, I love a appreciate my dad.  I also love and appreciate my grandpas, uncles, cousins, and brother-in-law and hope they all have a very happy Father's Day.
In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen
The remainder of this special day was spent with telephone calls and visits from our special family.  I am grateful that they show their great love and respect to Brad.  He has truly tried his very best to be the kind of father that your own dad would have liked his children to have.  It is always hard to know that he left our lives way too young but it is also a great blessing that Brad was sent to be a part of our lives.  He has loved and enjoyed each one of you and is always bragging about you.  He truly is a wonderful companion, father, father-in-law, grandfather, great grandfather and friend.  I pray that he will always be cared for and loved as each day passes on.





No comments:

Post a Comment