FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Happy Birthday to my Daughter Tonya


How does a mother express her feelings about her first born and her brother and sisters and children's great supporter.  Dale and I were so excited when we knew we were going to have a baby.  It was very hard to not just run up and down the streets shouting it out.  But we saved the great news to be given as a Christmas gift to our parents.  A calendar for the year 1961 was purchased and August 10th was circled and BABY written in. (that was the due date). Dale used to like to tell people that we got married on July 28th and Tonya was born on August 9th ----- he just forgot to mention the years.  It had been a very busy work day for us the day that she decided it was time to enter the world.  I had cleaned and scrubbed most of the day and was just finishing up our washing.  (In the twin tub Dexter with hand wringers and a side tube for clean rinse water then it was out to the cloths line for them to dry).  Dale had been at work and also helped his father on the farm and was mowing the lawn.  When I told him we really needed to get to the hospital he casually asked if I could just wait until he finished the yard work.  I think he was teasing but with Dale you never really knew.  He could really hold a straight face.  It was Dr. Mohrs day off but when we arrived at the hospital at six he was called and he and Gracie his wife and nurse arrived shortly after.  They stayed with us the whole time we were there.  It took quite a long time in the delivery room and Dr. Mohr shared many war stories with us.  Finally at 10:30 p,m, I had expounded all of my energy and so Dr. Mohr used the forceps to help gently give this sweet baby a little pull to get her here.  She was perfect in every way.  Cut little fat cheeks and that little Firth nose.  I guess people would say she was a good sized baby, 8 pounds 11 ounces but to this new mother and father she seemed so very tiny and we were really very nervous about our ability to care for her.  Mother had been called and would head to Utah to help as soon as I was released from the hospital.  Sorry guys five days was the norm.  Formula from scratch had to be made.  Carnation milk, water, and dark Karo syrup. (Dr. Mohrs recipe)  Our little daughter got just a bit agitated with the wait because it had to be sterilized for 30 minutes and then cooled down to feeding temperature.  I was so grateful for the skill of my mother at that time.  It seems like she could always calm a baby when no one else could.
Tonya was and is a GOOD person.  She always has been so willing to help and share with others.  Even when she was unable to conceive and start her own family she was sewing and supporting her sisters and brother in every way as their children came.
Tonya has always perfected many talents and shared them with others, whether it was her beautiful sewing skills, her fabulous cooking, her crocheting, her crafting, her printing, her quilt making, her vinyl lettering, you name it she probably can do it and gives so much.  I know that she is truly a special daughter of our Heavenly Father.  I also know that I was blessed as a mother to have her be like the second mom in my home.  Always caring for and loving her siblings.  When her father passed away she took on a greater responsibility than most children have to as she helped me in caring for our family.
Today Tonya is a wife, mother and a mother-in-law.  She has been a part of the work force since 1979 and I know that her employer has been glad that she was apart of the office.  Many more days will fill her life and I know that she will find joy and peace  as she serves those around her.  This is her second nature ---- the same nature as Christ.  "As I have loved you love one Another"  and this she does by giving so much of herself.  May she always be at peace and know how much she is loved.






No comments:

Post a Comment