FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

How will Fifteen Minutes change my life ------ waiting

For my journal ----- This post is again to just document and give cause for me to ponder on my life as it goes forward.  Yesterday afternoon was spent in Logan.  Brad said it was one of those hurry up and wait times again.  We have had many of them lately.  My appointment for the procedure was at 2:00 p.m. but they wanted me to be there at 1:30 p.m.
We arrived right on time and checked in.  The question of the day was ----"now you are not on Coumadin or any kind of blood thinner and have you  taken any aspirin or ibuprofen in the last three days?"  Wow!!  I thought what are they going to do to me ---- sounds like I could bleed to death.  Well not so.  The procedure is listed as a FNA ---- or as I have learned it is a Fine Needle Aspiration.  The object is to use a very fine needle to reach the tumor inside the Thyroid and aspirate or draw out some cells so they can be biopsied to see if any cancer cells are present.  What a difference the many years have made. 
In late 1964 when I made my monthly visit to Dr. Mohr when I was pregnant with Teresa, he felt a lump on the left side of my thyroid.  It concerned him enough that he sent me to see a Dr. Grua in Ogden. At the time he was known as the cancer Doctor.  Just abit scary to consider.   Dr. Grua did not have all of this wonderful technology available at that time and the only way to determine if the tumor was benign or malignant was to surgically remove it.  He really wanted me to have the surgery as soon as possible but he could not guarantee me what would happen to the baby that I was carrying.  Dale and I discussed it extensively and prayed so fervently as to what we should do.  The decision was made that the chance of losing the baby was too great and we would trust in the Lord that blessings would come and we both would be okay.  So for each check up with Dr. Mohr I would also have a check up with Dr. Grua.  May 2, 1965, a strong healthy baby girl was delivered.  Now, Dr. Mohr and Dr. Grua wanted me to recover and prepare for surgery.  Dr. Grua was very adamant that I would need at least two months after the surgery for a recovery period.  (Oh! my how things have changed.)  The surgery was scheduled for the ninth of September.  That would give me time to become stronger from having a new baby and also to make arrangements for the care of my four little children.  Grandma Clayton would be caring for Tonya and Glenda.  Uncle Dale and Aunt Beverly would care for the new baby, Teresa, and Dale along with his mom, Grandma Dorothy, would care for Jeffrey Dale.  My job would be to rest and recover.  It all sounds so silly now but at the time that is the way it was to be.  The old Thomas Dee Memorial Hospital was the place for the surgery.  What I remember most from that day was that I was throwing up so much and with my throat being the place of surgery it hurt like crazy.  The tumor had been bad enough that it and the whole left side of the Thyroid had to be removed.  Today I still carry the scar on my throat from this surgery.  So different than the FINE procedures they can do today.



A few minutes after two Jill, the technician, called my name.  The time had come. It had been perhaps one of the longest weeks of my life waiting for this time.  Funny how your mind works ---- some days were filled with such positive thoughts and some days my mind was so in a negative state, imagining all sorts of bad results.  (Patience is not one of my great virtues and not knowing is hard on me) I started to follow her when she looked at Brad and told him that he could come along if he wanted.  He could either be bored in the waiting room or bored in the procedure room.  He chose to come with us.  She was a very nice young women who tried her very best to make me feel more at ease.  She had me place a gown over my cloths to protect them from any soil.  She explained to me what would be happening and had me verify what was going to take place.  Yes, I said the procedure was on the right side of the Thyroid and yes my birthday is May 21, 1941.  She then instructed me to lay on the table so that she could check to be sure that the tumors were still there.  Wow! wouldn't it be great if they had miraculously disappeared.  But they hadn't.  She then called for the Lad technician to come ---- After this technician had all of her equipment ready Jill went for the doctor.   He was the same Doctor that had read the initial ultrasound that I had done in the Tremonton Hospital.  He asked me a few questions, one of which does give me some food for thought.  Why did they initially do an ultrasound on the Thyroid? Maybe the Lord does work in mysterious ways.  The reason I went to see Dr. Schow was not about the Thyroid.  It was for a strong abdominal pain.  In my initial meeting with Dr. Schow  we discussed how I was feeling and I had mentioned that I felt so extremely exhausted,  and that I felt so bad that for some reason I was unable to sing the hymns at church anymore (my voice just does not work and seems to be changing) and that when I swallow it always feels like something is just stuck there.  It was also discussed about this cough that has been with me for such along time plus some other nagging things.  Going to the doctor is not very common with me.  When he looked at my chart he commented that I sure don't come very often.  Going to the doctor for me happens only when I feel that my body is unable to handle the problem on it's own.  Because of experiences in our lives we all approach things differently and I feel that I know how I feel and if it needs to be addressed by a doctor or if I can take care of it on my own. 
Somehow though, I guess when he ordered the ultra sound of my upper body he felt to include the Thyroid.  I thank him for this.  Perhaps that is what was needed to find something that I had not even thought about.  That is what I told this doctor in answer to his question. 
They then sterilized my neck and began the procedure.  A small prick was felt as they used a needle to deaden the area.  Not bad at all ---- just a small discomfort for only a few seconds.  He asked me if the tingling had left.  I responded that I thought so and he began.  They use the ultrasound equipment to help direct him as he places the needle into the tumor.  WOW! again.  He said that he was having a bit of difficulty getting to the far back tumor because it was so deep, but all was accomplished and after four samples where taken he checked with the lab gal who said she had enough samples for the work she would be doing.  With each sample that was taken she would take the needle and it's attached tube and make slides of the samples.  Yes, it did cause some bleeding from the pokes and I am a good bleeder.  Also, some bruising would happen and probably I would feel a bit uncomfortable for awhile but an ice pack would help with this.  Fifteen minutes ------ that was the time ------ now I wait to see what that fifteen minutes will mean to my future.  They told me that probably by Monday they would have the results.  So again I wait.


A beautiful drive to Logan ----- the sky and mountains were amazing


2 comments:

  1. Love and prayers for you, Aunt Deanna! ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you Grandma! Please let us know when you find out and if you need anything at all! xoxo

    ReplyDelete