FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy Birthday to Teresa

May 2, 1965, was the very special day when Dale and I welcomed our fourth child into our family. It was a Sunday. Had prepared to go to church and Dale had actually gone to Priesthood but he was called home when I felt that it was very necessary to get to the hospital. Dr. Mohr was called and we were on our way. It was also a very special day for another reason. Grandma Jennie Firth was celebrating her eightieth birthday. (She was a very lovely lady and grandmother and great grandmother).
The months of carrying Teresa had held a great deal of concern. When I had gone to see Dr. Mohr for the first time he took one look at me and said "What in the world is going on here?'
Before I could explain that I was going to have a baby he started to feel my neck. He had seen that I had a lump on my neck. I told him that I was going to have a baby and then he became even more concerned. He set up an appointment for me to see Dr. Grua in Ogden --- he was known as the cancer doctor. The appointment and tests confirmed that I had a tumor on my thyroid. There was nothing that could be done at the time because I was too early in the pregnancy so I was given some medicine and sent home. From then on I would see Dr. Mohr and Dr. Grua each month. At one point when I was far enough along (I guess what you would call the second trimester today) Dr. Grua really wanted to preform surgery and remove the tumor --- he was concerned of cancer and its spread. However, he could not guarantee us that our little baby would be okay so we decided no surgery would take place and we would have to put great faith in our Heavenly Father and the Priesthood that the best would happen. They also were concerned that the tumor could be effecting the health of our baby. (Today with all of the wonderful medical equipment everything could have been handled much easier --- but it was the time of just x-rays and simpler equipment) She was just fine at birth and we were so grateful and happy. The tumor needed to still come out --- so Dr. Grua wanted me to get well and strong and then the surgery would take place. It was scheduled for September 5th. He wanted us to make arrangements for the four little children to be taken to other homes and cared for for about a month. I was to have complete rest and quiet. Crazy according to today's ways but that is what happened. Mom and Dad would take Tonya, Glenda and Jeff and care for them and Aunt Beverly and Uncle Dale would take the new baby Teresa and care for her for the month. When I think about this now I am so stunned by the way things were done. When I was well and released by Dr. Grua we headed to Idaho to gather our little family. But our new little baby cried and cried when we took her from her new mom and dad - Uncle Dale and Aunt Beverly. They were the ones that she knew, loved and depended on. It took a bit of time before she was our little one again. We were so grateful for our wonderful family. My mom and dad were always such a wonderful help to us.
Teresa is our left oriented child. Left handed, left footed, left eyed ---- and does she ever accomplish great things with this. She has always been very fond of playing games and sports. Always giving it her all. Sometimes I know that she has been truly blessed with not only the Clayton stubbornness but the Firth stubbornness. Just never gives up on a good project. One of the most memorable school experiences I shared with Teresa was in High School. She had really been lazy in doing her school work. (liked playing more) Her grades were terrible. She and I had a talk and it was decided that if she got a 4.0 I would buy her a car of her very own. (I probably didn't think this out real good). It did have to be a 4.0 though. The next report card that came home had all A's and one A-. She was oh so close ---- but never bugged me about the car because she understood the agreement ---- she worked so hard. I think the greatest thing that happened was that she learned her great potential when she apply herself. This she has done every since. It has not always been easy but she has accomplished great things. She is now a mother and grandmother, a great M.A. for Dr. Schow, but most of all an eternal companion to Paul. We are so proud of her and so grateful for all the love, help and support that she gives to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment