FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

For Time and All Eternity


July 28, 1960, was the day that Dale and I were married in the Idaho Falls LDS Temple.  I guess that makes it fifty years.  I was so very happy on that beautiful summer day.  My Mom had worked so hard to help make everything special.  She had baked delicious and beautiful cookies for many days.  (Pecan Nuggets and Thumbprint cookies being my favorite ---- still are today)  I know that my getting married at this time was a very hard financial responsibility.  I had been attending Utah State University  the fall and winter before and out of state tuition was very high.  Also mom and dad were supporting Harlen and Dennis on their missions at the time.  Harlen was in The German/Austria Mission and Dennis was serving in Brazil. 
I was working in the office at Sears in Idaho Falls at the time and was trying to help with the wedding as much as I could.  How grateful I am for my wonderful parents who always supported and encouraged us.
I especially remember the day that Mom and I went shopping for my Wedding Dress.  It was such a fun day and we found the perfect dress and veil but it would be eighty dollars.  Not alot by today's standard but a lot for us.  It was placed on lay away and would be paid for over time. 
The morning that we were to be married Dad left a bit early to deliver a truck to be worked on and Mom and I would pick him up and we would all go to the temple together.  Well I guess in the excitement Mom and I did not listen to good and went to the wrong place.  (No cell phones then)  After thinking it through Mom decided he must be at this other shop.  All in all we found him but we did arrive at the temple late.  There was Dale patiently sitting in the front foyer waiting for his bride.  He said that President Killpack had told him he would find him another bride if he would like.  It was always a fun tease for Dale to let me know I was late for our wedding.
I can still feel that special feeling as we knelt across the alter and were sealed for Time and All Eternity.  I also remember how I looked down at my watch and it said 12:35.  Dale and I went to the temple often and we both found such great peace and joy.
I am grateful for this special man in my life.  He was a good husband and a good father. As a new young married couple we had many wonderful plans and goals.  But I guess in God's eternal plan somethings would just be different.  My heart will always have that special spot for my first love and the father of our eight beautiful children.  Perhaps God will someday give me understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment