FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Being a Wife, Mom and Grandmother

Many years ago as a young couple with four small children Dale and I were blessed to attend a sacrament meeting held in our Bothwell Ward where the speakers talked about ways to strengthen our families in the home and in the gospel.  Brother and Sister Riggs were the speakers.  It so impressed us that we decided it was very important that we apply their teachings in our home.  The first step was to select a family scripture that would enhance our lives, family and home.  After much study and prayer we selected ---
Mosiah Chapter Four, verses fourteen and fifteen--14 And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the devil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness.
15 But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.
During our courtship we had discussed each of our desires concerning the family that we would like to have. I was a member of a large family.  Mother and Dad had nine children.  My sister Harriet died shortly after birth and my younger brother Kenneth died at fourteen months.  That left the seven of us to be raised.  Dale's family experience was quite the opposite.  His mother had a difficult time conceiving children and Dale had one older brother and one younger sister - with many years in between them.  As Dale saw my family and our closeness and fun he expressed his desire that we should have a larger family.  We were very blessed that this would be possible.  But sometimes a larger family can also create larger problems and it would be very important that as parents we would be blessed with the wisdom to raise our family.  Thus the reason for the selection of this scripture.
 
The second suggestion was the selection of a family song.  We would learn this together and sing it together.
We selected a Primary Song "Stairway to lasting Joy"
There's a beautiful stairway that we would climb, Leading upward to lasting joy.  There are steps to be taken along the way, that help every girl and boy.  We must love and have faith, we must try to obey, We must lengthen our learning and we must pray, For true joy everylasting awaits us there, when we've climbed up each beautiful stair.
We are they who will guide you and teach you truth, As you climb up the beautiful stair.  Oh, the way is not hidden from eager youth, for we will be standing there.  If we live as we teach, and you learn to obey, You will climb up the stairway, for this is the way.  And the joy everlasting that waits us these is for all who climb that stair.
 
The third suggestion was a Family Flag.  With the four children who were really quite young at the time we set about making our flag.  We decided it would be on a field of navy blue so it would show of the little white footprints of our children as they climbed the bright red stairs that led to a beautiful picture of our Savior.

We worked very hard at accomplishing our goal and for some time we implemented it into our family home evenings and other fun times. The spirit of our home was one of peace   But soon life seemed to become too hectic and we struggled with just the daily challenges.  How sad that we forgot our plan which really would have made Heavenly Father and our Savior our closest partners in raising our children.  The days quickly passed and soon it was years and the scripture, the song,and the flag were forgotten.  Also our home and family struggled with some very hard issues.  Dale would pass away and I would make plans to leave our home in Bothwell. As I was packing for the move I came upon the flag in the bottom of a drawer.  Good memories but also a reminder of failure.  Would things be better if we had just followed through.

As a single parent I didn't do any better ------ But the Lord was merciful and kind and blessed my home and my children.

Why is this long narrative of any value at this time ----- perhaps I am hoping that my family will learn from the parents failure.  I see my family struggling and my heart is aching.  Decisions have such a great effect on our lives.  Long lasting effects.  When I see family members that hold grudges against each other my heart is aching.  When I see judgements being made my heart is aching for that is only the Saviors place.  When I see acts of selfishness and greed one against another my heart is aching.  When I hear language offensive to the ear my heart is aching.  When I see dress that is not wholesome or dignified my heart if aching.  When I see cold shoulders given my heart is aching.  When I see choices contrary to God's plan my heart is aching.  When I know that family is the most important of all God's organizations I want mine to be eternal.  Why did I fail ----- I so long to be able to go back and try harder.  Be a bit more faithful in making my home one of faith, prayer and testimony.  For the last several years as  I have prepared the yearly family calendar I have included the scripture and song on the last page -----maybe hoping to make up for lost opportunities and that perhaps my family would see them and think that they were good and could help in their own homes.  Love is such a joyful feeling and also such a worry feeling.  I have no greater love than that which I feel for my family.  May they always be blessed and know that they are special in my eyes and the eyes of God.  May they stay close to Him ---- be His friend ---- honor Him by doing their best.  He is always close just waiting for the call.  HE WILL HELP  My  testimony is firm---I am His daughter He is my Heavenly Father ---- He lives as does my Savior Jesus Christ.  His gospel is on the earth today and we are guided by His Prophet. We will have eternal joy and we will have an eternal family. We will have hard times and we will sometimes feel the load is too heavy  but He will lift us up in our time of need until we become stronger.  The Savior's atoning sacrifice is our greatest blessing.  His love is unending and He desires only for us to FOLLOW HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment