FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Holy Ghost

Sunday was a special day but also a bit of a stressful day. I always worry when I teach any gospel lesson in church that I will fail to teach that message that my Savior would have me teach. Sunday it was on the Holy Ghost. I learned so much from my study. I am so humbled by this beautiful gift from our Father in Heaven. I think that perhaps he is the least appreciated and recognized one in the Godhead. How grateful I am for his influence and direction in my life. I shared a very special and sacred experience that I had with the Holy Ghost with the sisters and I would like to record it on my blog.
The summer after my husband Dale died and I was called to be a typist at the new name desk in the Logan LDS temple. (1979) (In those days typewriters were used and there were two ladies at the men's side and two ladies at the women's side. I worked on the women's desk. The patron would show me their recommend and I would type their name on a small piece of paper that had the name of the person they would be going through the temple for that day. It was a duplicate copy so I would tear off the top one and give to them.) I would leave my home in Bothwell about four thirty in the morning so I could be at the temple for prayer meeting by five thirty. While serving in the temple I was able to place my name and my children's names on the prayer roll of the temple and also on some days would be able to complete a session after I had finished my shift. I was struggling at the time with a very hard decision. Dale had always told me that if any thing should happen to him I must leave Bothwell and find a place that I would be able to care for myself and my children in peace and safety. We had worked so hard to build our house in Bothwell and it was hard to think of leaving it, but I also knew that I could not move forward if tension and sorrow were always around me.
One day as I was coming home from the temple and had driven past the Crossroads a short distance I felt a very distinct impression to turn into a housing area called Fridal Heights. I shook the feeling off knowing that I had been gone from my family for some time. But again as I was going through Tremonton headed toward home the impression came again only this time it was stronger. Once again I shook it off and continued on knowing that my children needed me. As I came to the fair ground road the impression came again only this time it was like a loud voice in my head saying - Deanna - turn around and go back. I did as I was told and drove into Fridal Heights. It was a very lovely area and a short distance in there was a sign that read :House For Sale. I knew that this was why I was told to come here. I stopped my car went to the front door of the house, knock and went inside. The minute I stepped inside I knew that this was home and that this was the place I was to bring my family. I never questioned it for one minute. The carpenter and owner was working. I asked him about the house and he told me that it was for sale and that actually it was the only spec home he had ever built in the development. We discussed the house, what was left to be done, about the price and etc. I left knowing that things would work out because the Lord was definitely directing the process. (That was the end of the story for the Relief Society sisters)
I had no money to buy a house --- I hardly had any money at all. I went to see Mr. Ellis at The First Security Bank and told him that I wanted to buy a house and would he borrow me $82,000 dollars to do so. I guess sometimes innocence or plain stupidity can pay off because he said yes and gave me a signature loan on a six month contract -hoping that the house and farm in Bothwell would sell within that period of time. The children and I moved into our new home on Labor Day of 1979 just before Tonya left to attend Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho. It was rather a sad but also a glad day to leave our home in Bothwell. Many fun, and happy memories but also some of the most painful had taken place there. The house and farm did sell just shortly before the end of the six months. I paid off the Mortgage on the house and farm in Bothwell and paid the note off at the bank so that our home was free and clear. I then put some money away to finish the basement of the house, do some landscaping, window coverings, and carpet. What was left was invested in some real estate rather than paying taxes. Over the years this would help a little bit in raising the children. I am so very grateful that I was not LEFT ALONE. I do know that I have been directed and influenced so many times and am grateful for this great blessing.

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Deanna, Thank you for this story. Sometimes it is so easy to let our challenges in life discourage us to the point that we no longer feel the comfort of the Holy Ghost. Thank you for your testimony - and sharing that we are never alone.

    V

    ReplyDelete