FAMILY IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

To Fill or not To Fill That is the Question?????

Yesterday was spent (nine hours) in the kitchen doing apples. Yes, beautiful, wonderful apples. Glenda has some great neighbors who offered her all the apples she would like and Grandpa and I had purchased a bushel and a half of three different varieties from Tolmans. In all we had five varieties to make into pie filling, apple butter, and apple sauce. So all of the bottles that I had left empty in the garage were brought in, washed and ready to be filled. Exactly 56. Grandpa had training meetings all morning for the town so I would be on my own for the better part of the day. Things seemed to be going quite well. The apple butter would take about four hours to get done so I started it first. When it was simmering I began the apple pie filling. It went on and on and on. When Grandpa came home he pitched in and ran the apple peeler while I caught them and sliced them in half. When I had used up all of the Apple Pie Syrup I said no more!!!! the rest will become applesauce. So trying to judge the amount I would need to fill 6 bottles we peeled and stewed and blended. But alas we only had enough for 5 bottles. No more!!!!that is enough, this one lone bottle will have to sit empty by itself on the shelf. I AM FINISHED.

Now here is the problem ---- there is no way that Grandpa and I are going to use 31 quarts of Pie Filling - 5 quarts of applesauce and 19 bottles of Apple Butter ---- so please help us out. Surely someone will need a bottle or two --- you know for apple pie, apple crisp, apple turnovers, applesauce cookies, or a wonderful spread for toast, waffles, crepes, etc. Just give us the call and it is yours. All in all it was a nice day and it is always good to know that you have done your best to prepare your food storage and grandpa says some for others too.

No comments:

Post a Comment